Wednesday 11 January 2012

Dark Days

Dark Souls is a fantastic game. Demon's Souls was too. They taught you the most valuable lessons games possibly can - that death is as unavoidable as the freaking tides, and grown men still cry. The only thing wrong with both of them was that they were attached to my hand by a cinder block called a console controller.

The petition to get a PC version has like 60,000 signatures on it now which is pretty cool. Go do your part even if you couldn't give a rat's ass, because we do. Though we all know these things never go anywhere.



When I first fired up the original Demon's Souls (Don't forget that apostrophe!) I proceeded to not move from the couch for 22 hours. I nearly died of hunger while dying over and over again. It blew my mind to experience that old feeling of, "sure I'm playing like crap, but that's because it's actually difficult."

Unfortunately it wasn't something that held up in the original game. The difficulty curve petered out once you got a decent weapon and realized that the attack patterns were very predictable. Dark Souls, the darker and less possessive sequel, fixed much of this by choosing to kick your ass forever and ever. And I loved every second of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment